For the Chief Curator position description and application instructions, please click the link above.
Visitor Experience Associates
RTPI Rising – About the Roger Tory Peterson Institute
Following a fire in December last year, RTPI is near to reopening with a dynamic new strategic plan in place. We are seeking dynamic new staff to help us make this plan a reality:
Home to the largest collection of Roger Tory Peterson’s work, the Roger Tory Peterson Institute is a leader for the study, exhibition and nurturing of art that matters to the planet. Through world class exhibitions and programs, RTPI illuminates the beauty of nature; challenges us to confront environmental issues of regional, national and global concern; and inspires us to preserve the earth’s biodiversity – with a particular emphasis on the natural area wonders of Western New York.
We are currently seeking up to three Visitor Experience Associates.
As the front-line ambassadors for RTPI, Visitor Experience Associates play several key roles to ensure an exceptional visitor experience. An Associate’s first job is to make everyone feel welcome and valued. Equally important, Associates are an engaging source of information about RTPI – it’s mission, history, programs and events. Associates orient visitors to the museum experience – admissions, exhibitions, museum store, outdoor opportunities, etc.
Associates are responsible for all visitor transactions: admissions, memberships, special programs and events, museum store sales, etc. Associates will open and close the register each day, working hand-in-glove with the Visitor Services Manager to tally each day’s receipts.
As the monitor for entrance into the museum, Associates play a key role directing visitors to abide by all health and safety measures; namely related to Covid. (Until such time as Covid becomes a relative non-issue.)
Additionally, Associates will be the first point of contact for any additional visitors to the campus: taking deliveries, signing for packages, directing partners to meetings, etc. They will handle all front desk phone calls, directing calls and taking messages, as needed.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working in customer service, sales, and/or hospitality
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience in cash handling and credit card transactions
- Solid Square skills or another POS system, a plus
- Welcoming, enthusiastic, engaging presence
- Devotion to customer service
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Able to multitask and remain calm in a fast-paced environment
- Possess high standards, a positive attitude, be detail oriented, and work well both with others and independently
- Able to accept feedback and have a desire to continually improve
- Must have a passion for the mission of RTPI
Responsibilities and Duties
- Welcome visitors engagingly and professionally
- Share information about RTPI in an enthusiastic but efficient way
- Orient visitors to the museum experience
- Process all transactions on RTPI’s POS and register system – admissions, programs and events, museum store sales, etc.
- Maintain an accurate “bank;” assist with the tally of daily transactions and reports
- Serve as front desk reception for RTPI staff
- Attend staff meetings and trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- Serve as an ambassador for RTPI within Jamestown and the surrounding region
The Visitor Services Associate is a full- or part-time, hourly position at $15/hour. The anticipated start date is May 1. Associates that work at least 20 hours per week are eligible for benefits, including health, vision and dental insurance and an employer-funded 403(b) retirement plan.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Roger Tory Peterson Institute is an equal opportunity employer. RTPI is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at RTPI are based on organization needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by laws or regulations. RTPI will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to: Newhire@rtpi.org and include “Visitor Services Associate” in the subject line.
Only those applicants we feel are strong potential fits will be contacted. Due to the high volume of applications we anticipate, we will not be able to respond to phone calls or emails.